Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DOE will begin evaluating ATR teachers

The following email was sent to a select group of ATR teachers; the number of teachers who received the message is not known. NYCATR has taken the liberty of highlighting some key passages.  

Dear Teacher,

The Department of Education is piloting a new model for supervision of teachers in the Absent Teacher Reserve (ATR). This pilot will be implemented for most ATRs assigned to community school districts in Brooklyn as well as the Brooklyn High School superintendency, District 73; you are receiving this email because you will likely be included in the pilot. Under this initiative, you will be supervised by a licensed administrator, called a Field Supervisor, who will periodically observe your practice and provide you with feedback to support your professional development. The Field Supervisors are aware that as an ATR you do not have a regular program and that you rotate school assignments and they will take this context into account in their work with you. 

At some point in the next two months, you should expect your Field Supervisor to visit your assignment site to meet with you in person. At this initial meeting, the Field Supervisor will work with you to develop a plan to support your professional growth and job search process. The Field Supervisor will make an effort to contact you via your DOE email in advance of the initial meeting to give you a sense of when you can expect him or her; however, he or she may not always be able to provide advance notification.

Sincerely,

NYC Department of Education
Atrassignment@schools.nyc.gov

13 comments:

  1. This is great! They can observe me sitting in a hallway alone for hours making sure no student leaves the building. Or better yet observe me in a safe room trying to control students I don't even know! Really???

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-holes...I'd love them to visit me. I teach therefore I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the DOE came up money to hire people to evaluate the ATRs. The money should be going back into the classroom. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DOE didn't have to come up with money. These supervisors are administrative rejects in the atr pool. the only waste here I'd a waste of time

      Delete
  4. Does anyone know who got the job? This is a total joke. They have money to hire a supervisor at a higher rate than a teacher, who will tell us how to be a "BETTER ATR". Just another jab into my heart. You can't make this s*** up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They can observe me helping a bunch of 4 year olds put their coats on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope when they visit they can't find a parking space and when they ask to use the bathroom I tell them I don't have a key!

    ReplyDelete
  7. if anyone from the DOE visits me I am going to make sure he/she has the most miserable day ever - just like I do everyday - the Tweed DOE is made up of such incompetent losers -I find it incredible that they remember how to get to work and home everyday - going to and from the same place - bet you they couldn't even handle going to a new school every week - they would certainly get confused and lost - they can all go to you know where

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will make it a fun game day of hide and seek!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DOE are a bunch of dumb ASSets. They forgot how we became ATRs? They closed the schools and advised principals to hire kids at starting salaries. Many left after being hired (pressure). Wait until 2012 when principals fall under APPR and will have to hire real teachers and not cuties. Most "bad" teachers play politics and are still at their jobs. Ageism, sexism, racism, etc is currently rampant in the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  10. APPR=Annual Professional Performance Review. Google it. Principals will be subject to review instead of teachers only. Bad managers are causing failing schools but teachers get the blame. We're suffering from ageism, sexism, racism, favoritism, cliques, etc. Bloomberg failing schools is part of a master plan to keep the poor dumb and maintain a large underclass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been teaching for 15 years, masters +30. This is the middle of my fourth year as an ATR. Curiously, I've been teaching within my license (earth science), or very close to it, for the first three years as an ATR. At the end of each year I've been shown the door and a two first year (provisional) teachers are hired to replace me. What a spectacular money grab this is......and our union is letting us rot on the vine. What a scam!

    ReplyDelete